Brief information on the area and route
Manaslu Base Camp Trek is located in mid-western part of Nepal having breathtaking scenery of world’s 8th highest mountain called Manaslu (8,163m) with presence of few trekkers that makes your trip exclusive and unscathed.
This trail covers both hilly regions of exceptional green farm land, overwhelming walk to base camp with incredible Himalayan pass of Larkya-La (5100m) and adventure downhill occurrence to Annapurna Conversation Area.
The route to Manaslu provides good opportunity to take pleasure in off beaten path and pure virgin land away from the noisy trail of Everest & Annapurna.
Authentic Nepali Culture and hospitality, magnificent view of Mt.Manaslu, vicinity untouched by modernization, combine religion of Buddhism and Hinduism as well as the pathway of Budi-Gandaki River are the main characteristics of this region.
Buddhist Monastery, traditional Gumpas, chortens, Mani walls, lush forests, huge Glaciers, snowcapped mountain peaks and Tibetan platinum of landscape build your trip life-time experience.
Manaslu Base Camp Trek is restricted area where need minimum two trekkers and a government licensed Trekking Guide to get permit or to entry inside the territory.
Trekkers can begin trek after having 6-7 hours drive from Kathmandu to Soti Khola, hike up to Jagat, Deng, Ghap, Samagaun, samdo, Dharmasala with crossing exploration of Larkya-La and end trek in Dharapani of Annapurna region with 6-7 hours drive back to Kathmandu after trek.
Even one can continue trek to Thorong-La cross (5416m) of Annapurna Region if having time by same permit of Manaslu.
How to Start & End Manaslu Trek
- Manaslu Trek is one of the distinctive treks of Nepal which begins after having seven hours drive from Kathmandu to Soti Khola via Arughat.
- The trekking trail begins through Budi-Gandakri River, and ends in Annapurna Region of Dharapani village via Green forests, local Gurung community, beautiful Hills, classical Samagaun and Samdo village having adventure Larkya-La cross.
- One can even take pleasure with stunning view of Manaslu and many more mountain peaks surrounding the areas also having chance to walk in great Himalayan trail.
- Tourist even can go by public bus which goes from center part of Kathmandu to Arughat but it is quite uncomfortable due to many people standing inside bus and keep passengers on the way by stopping so many places.
- We suggest you to drive by private Jeep which will be more comfortable and also free wherever you want to stop to take photograph.
Trekking Permits of Manaslu
- From September to November US$ 70 per week per person and after 7 days US$ 10 per day per person or equivalent convertible foreign currency.
- From December to August US$ 50 per week per person and after 7 days US$ 7 per day per person or equivalent convertible foreign currency. And 23$ for Manaslu Conservation Area
- The Check Point is in Jagat and check out is in Dharapani and even your permit will be check in Samdo Village. So, also need permit of Annapurna Conversation Area Project it cost 23$ per person.
- Also need MCAP/ACAP & Manaslu Special Permit.
- There must be minimum 2 people and Nepal Government licensed holder Trekking Guide to entry check point of Manaslu. If you are alone trekking to Manaslu, can join with other group if luckly having in same date check-in in Jagat.
- TIMS card is not required to entry in Manaslu trekking trail.
- Need 2 passport size photos to make permit in Kathmandu.
- To get permit, you have to go through Nepal government registered trekking company.
- Company can buy permit from immigration of Nepal Government by showing trekker’s original passport, 2 photos and documents of own company either it is register or not.
Lodges and Foods in Manaslu Region
During the period of Manaslu Trek, trekkers will sleep in normal Tea-houses with sharing laundry and bathroom. Most of the Tea-houses do not allow single accommodation due to very few lodges. You must share room with your friends. And even upper part of Manaslu region, 3-4 trekkers should share one room with 4 beds. Though, Owner of the Tea House offer the blanket but it will not be sufficient to avoid cold; so need -105 sleeping bag. One can choose food from Menu, but normally they have Nepali Food Called Dal Bhat, Vegetables, Noodles, potatoes, Local Gurung Bread, Toast, Omelete, boiled eggs, pasta, French fries and soup. There are even biscuits, chocolates and soft drinks. In the upper part, food cost is more expensive than lower part. Due to remotness food is expensive and also difficult to send transportation. After Soti khola, Donkeys carry the food and all things that need in Tea-Houses.
Best time to go Manaslu Trek
Are you looking for the best time to go Manaslu Trek? Wherever you travel in the world, it is necessary to know the best time. The Best time to trek Manaslu is pre monsoon and post moon season. The most recommended season of Manaslu Trek is in autumn (Sep, Oct, Nov,) and spring (March, April May). In Autumn Season, moonsoon dies away, haze and rain still little bit potential. The views are magnificent, fabulous and cooling down. Weather is too fresh and clean. In spring season, lower part of Budi-Gandaki River will be hot and upper part, not too cold not too hot. Weather will be awesome having fantastic view of Himalayan peaks though sometimes may change the weather due to cloud but it is rare. Trekkers can see blooming Rhododendron flowers during spring season. There will be heavy rain in June & July and too cold in January and February. We recommend you to trek Manaslu in March-April-May and September-october-November.
Detail Cost of Manaslu Trek
- Special Permit Cost= From September to November US$ 70 per week per person and after 7 days US$ 10 per day per person or equivalent convertible foreign currency. From December to August US$ 50 per week per person and after 7 days US$ 7 per day per person or equivalent convertible foreign currency.
- MCAP Permit= 30$ Per Person
- Guide Wages= 30$ Per Day ( Salary, Food, Accommodation, Insurance and Private equipments)
- Porter Wages= 25$ Per Day ( Salary, Food, Accmmodation, Insurance and Priate equipments. Porter Carries maximun 25-30kg)
- Kathmandu to Soti Khola By Private Jeep= 285$ (4-6 people can share it)
- Dharapani to Besisahar to Kathmandu By Private Jeep= 285$ (4-6 people can share it)
- Normal Tea House Room (Twin Share) = 10$ -15$
- Food (Breakfast-Lunch-Diiner)= 25$-40$ Per Day/Per Person
- Tea/Coffee= 1$-4$ Per Cup
- Bottle of Water= 1$-3$
- Beer= 4$-7$
- Hotel in Kathmandu 3* standard Per Twin Room= 60$
- Arrival and Departure Cost= 30$ (By Car)
Before you start Manaslu Trek, must prepare for your equipments to prevent cold and for safety. Your backpacks should ready in Kathmandu because equipments cannot get in Manaslu region. Below listed equipments are recommended for Manaslu Trek.
- Hiking Boots and Socks
- Waterproof Jacket
- Fleece Jacket
- Sun Glass
- Warm Cap
- Water bottle
- Sleeping Bag -15 degree
- Down Jacket
- Small Towel
- Trekking Sticks