Brief information on the area and route
Tsum Valley is located northern part of Nepal in Gorkha region near Manaslu Himalaya border of China (Tibet).
It is a sacred Himalayan pilgrimage valley with classical Tibetan Buddhism with ancient art culture and religion. It is more remote and spectacular with rough steep tracks having less luxurious accommodation.
This valley is ethnically attractive with strong connection to Tibet. “Tsum” means bright, where brightness of classical Tibetan Buddhism with its cultural existence is the main focal point of the territory.
A living Buddhist culture, hospitable people, untouched wildlife due to Buddhist prohibitions on hunting, and stunning view of Ganesh Himal, Sringi Himal and Boudha Himal are the main characteristics of Tsum valley Trek.
The local people from this valley are mostly Tibetan origin and speak unique Dialect. Thousand of stone slabs carved with drawings of deities called “Mani Wall, & Artistic Chortens” make your hike more cultural. Due to remoteness, this sacred valley was out of contact with mainstream development later it has remained unique cultural subsistence.
Untill 2008; Tsum Valley was as restricted area, due to its strong cultural occurrence. This valley is exhausted by Sher Khola which begins from western glacier of Ganesh Himal and west and east glacier of Sringi Himal and get together with Budi-Gandaki River.
This valley is distinctively wealthy in wildlife with appearance of Himalayan Thar, Blue Sheep, and Mountain Goats. Unique momentous Monasteries including Rachen Gumba, Mu Gumba and Gumba Lungdang makes you as you are standing 800 years back on earth. It is said that Guru Rimpochen (Padmasambhava) blessed as Tibetan refugees to be discovered when the earth is forthcoming ruin, world becomes corrupt for spiritual practice.
This valley is still less exposed in comparison to other trekking trail with relatively virgin and off-beaten path. People have their own way of family life; all the borther in the family are married ot be single girl. They practice the polyandry marriage.
The trek start from Arughat or Soti Khola after 6-7 hours drive from Kathmandu ascends the Budi-Gandaki valley through dense mix forest, terraced filed, Gurung Village with entering into hidden valley of Tsum Valley.
How to start & End Tsum Valley Trek?
- Tsum Valley Trek is one of the distinctive treks of Nepal which begins after having seven hours drive from Kathmandu to Soti Khola via Arughat.
- The trekking trail begins after having 6-7 hours drive from Kathmandu to Soti Khola and entry your permit to Jagat with hike up to Lokpa, Chumling, Chhekmaparo, Nile, Mu Gompa, Rachen Gompa and way down to Soti khola via Jagat by check out your permit.
- If trekkers have time can continue Manaslu trekking after Tsum Valley but should buy Permit in Kathmand. Trekkers can do Tsum Valley and Manaslu Trek in same time too.
- Tourist even can go by public bus which goes from center part of Kathmandu to Arughat but it is quite uncomfortable due to many people standing inside bus and keep passengers on the way by stopping so many places.
- We suggest you to drive by private Jeep which will be more comfortable and also free wherever you want to stop to take photograph.
Trekking Permit of Tsum Valley
- From September to November, per person US$ 35 for first 8 days and from December to August per person US$ 25 for first 8 days or equivalent convertible foreign currency
- The Check Point is in Jagat and check out is also in Jagat. Also we need MCAP (Manaslu Conversation Area Project) Permit.
- There must be minimum 2 trekkers and Nepal Government licensed holder Trekking Guide to entry check point of Tsum Valley. If you are alone trekking to Tsum Valley, can join with other group if luckly having in same date check-in in Jagat.
- TIMS card is not required to entry in Tsum Valley Trek.
- Need 2 passport size photos to make permit in Kathmandu.
- To get permit, you have to go through Nepal government registered trekking company.
- Company can buy permit from immigration of Nepal Government by showing trekker’s original passport, 2 photos and documents of own company either it is register or not.
Lodges and Foods in Tsum Valley
During the period of Tsum Valley Trek, trekkers will sleep in normal Tea-houses with sharing laundry and bathroom. Most of the Tea-houses do not allow single accommodation due to very few lodges. You must share room with your friends. And even upper part of Tsum Valley region, 3-4 trekkers should share one room with 4 beds. Though, Owner of the Tea House offer the blanket but it will not be sufficient to avoid cold; so need -15 sleeping bag. One can choose food from Menu, but normally they have Nepali Food Called Dal Bhat, Vegetables, Noodles, potatoes, Local Gurung Bread, Toast, Omelete, boiled eggs, pasta, French fries and soup. There are even biscuits, chocolates and soft drinks. In the upper part, food cost is more expensive than lower part. Due to remotness food is expensive and also difficult to send transportation. After Soti khola, Donkeys carry the food and all things that need in Tea-Houses. Meat is not allowed to eat in Tsum Valley.
Best time to go Tsum Valley
Are you looking for the best time to go Tsum Valley? Wherever you travel in the world, it is necessary to know the best time. The Best time to trek Manaslu is pre monsoon and post moon season. The most recommended season of Manaslu Trek is in autumn (Sep, Oct, Nov,) and spring (March, April May). In Autumn Season, moonsoon dies away, haze and rain still little bit potential. The views are magnificent, fabulous and cooling down. Weather is too fresh and clean. In spring season, lower part of Budi-Gandaki River will be hot and upper part, not too cold not too hot. Weather will be awesome having fantastic view of Himalayan peaks though sometimes may change the weather due to cloud but it is rare. Trekkers can see blooming Rhododendron flowers during spring season. There will be heavy rain in June & July and too cold in January and February. We recommend you to trek Tsum Valley in March-April-May and September-october-November
Detail Cost of Tsum Valley Trek
- Special Permit Cost(Tsum Valley) = From September to November, per person US$ 35 for first 8 days and from December to August per person US$ 25 for first 8 days or equivalent convertible foreign currency
- MCAP Permit= 30$ Per Person
- Guide Wages= 30$ Per Day ( Salary, Food, Accommodation, Insurance and Private equipments)
- Porter Wages= 25$ Per Day ( Salary, Food, Accmmodation, Insurance and Priate equipments. Porter Carries maximun 25-30kg)
- Kathmandu to Soti Khola By Private Jeep= 285$ (4-6 people can share it)
- Arughat to Kathmandu By Private Jeep= 200$ (4-6 people can share it)
- Normal Tea House Room (Twin Share) = 10$ -15$
- Food (Breakfast-Lunch-Diiner)= 25$-40$ Per Day/Per Person
- Tea/Coffee= 1$-4$ Per Cup
- Bottle of Water= 1$-3$
- Beer= 4$-7$
- Hotel in Kathmandu 3* standard Per Twin Room= 60$
- Arrival and Departure Cost= 30$ (By Car)
Before you start Tsum Valley Trek, must prepare for your equipments to prevent cold and for safety. Your backpacks should ready in Kathmandu because equipments cannot get in Tsum Valley. Below listed equipments are recommended for Tsum Valley Trek.
- Hiking Boots and Socks
- Waterproof Jacket
- Fleece Jacket
- Sun Glass
- Warm Cap
- Water bottle
- Sleeping Bag -15 degree
- Down Jacket
- Small Towel
- Trekking Sticks